First of all, you might wonder why you would need a 5 gallon pail light if you can just conveniently bring your propane light. Well, not everyone has this propane lantern. And this camping light made of 5 gallon bucket is an inexpensive alternative to get enough light at the camp site.
You will need:
- A white 5 gallon bucket with lid.
- Utility light socket.
- Extension cord - adjust the length with what you need and are comfortable with.
- Light bulb.
And these are the steps to make your camping light.
- You can either use the bucket lid as the location where you will attach the utility light socket or the bottom of the pail. If you intend to hang it on a branch of a tree or elsewhere during your camping trip, it is best to do it on the bucket lid. Then you can just hang the bucket light by attaching the pail handle to a pole. If the light is to be placed on the ground, the bottom of the pail is a good place to install the utility light socket.
- Place the light socket in the middle of the surface (of the lid or the bottom) and mark the holes where you need to screw the light socket later on.
- Also mark a hole right in the middle of the center where you can feed the extension cord.
- Cut the female end of the extension cord and slid it through the hole in the center from outside to the inside of the bucket.
- Attach the wire to the utility socket.
- Secure the utility light socket to the inside surface by bolting them onto it.
- Screw a bulb onto the light fixture.
- Put the lid back on and plug it in. If it lights, then all you need to do is to add the final waterproof touch.
- Apply epoxy putty generously to the access points where you drilled the holes before. This is to ensure that there will be no drip of rain water ever getting into your camping light.
That's it! If you are familiar with the materials above, this should be an easy task for you, and cheap too! So happy camping with your DIY camping light with your 5 gallon bucket
This article was first published here
Labels: 5 gallon bucket, 5 gallon buckets, 5 gallon pail, 5 gallon pails
by: Baytec Containers