Did you know that you could use your 5 gallon buckets to plant tomatoes? This alternative of potting can save you a lot of money as well as space in your garden. Following is the info on how to plant tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets in your garden.
- First of all, properly clean the bucket. Take extra attention if you are using a 5 gallon bucket that was previously used to contain chemicals. Clean it well and disinfect it to prevent any residues sticking in the bucket that could harm the tomatoes.
- Next, make enough holes at the bottom of the 5 gallon pails for the excess water to come out.
- Fill the bucket with quality potting soil.
- Dig a two-inch hole in the center of the bucket.
- If you are a first time grower, it may be best to just buy a tomato plant from the nursery as planting tomatoes from the seeds need a lot of extra care. But if you are experienced and own a greenhouse or a sunny window inside the house, you are good to go with the seeds.
- Cover the hole with potting soil and place it where it receives a lot of direct steady sunlight. 7 hours exposure to the sun will be best for the tomatoes to grow well.
- Pour warm water to the newly planted tomato seedling to avoid it having transplant shock. Do this continuously every day in the first week it is planted.
- After two weeks have passed, build a stake next to the plant to support it as it grows.
- Fertilize regularly every week.
Can't get enough use of 5 gallon buckets? Check out these past blog posts on them.
Post a Comment